Abstract: This article discusses the application and development of distance learning, in particular, foreign languages. The variants of integration of distance learning into the traditional full-time education system are analyzed. The necessity of joint use of methods of full-time and distance teaching in the process of teaching a foreign language to students of higher educational institutions. How this learning was implemented in the teaching process. The description of four characteristic features of distance education. Examples of advantages and disadvantages were given. The methods of distance learning were considered: programs, online services, and online tools.
Keywords: distance learning, distance education, foreign languages, teaching methods, information society, educational process, scientific and technical progress.
Nowadays, the relevance of distance learning is that the results of social progress are now concentrated in the information sphere. At present, the era of computer science has come. This is an area of communication, information and knowledge. Based on the fact that professional knowledge is aging very quickly, it is necessary to continuously improve it. Distance learning today makes it possible to create systems of mass continuous self-learning, universal information exchange, regardless of the presence of time and spatial zones. [1, p. 4]. In the information society, the strategy of education is changing significantly, and its most important feature is the widespread use of information technologies. [2, p. 19]. The most important task of higher education today is the formation of future employees and researchers of scientific thinking, skills of independent assimilation and critical analysis of new information, the ability to build scientific hypotheses. The solution of this problem is not possible without the widespread use of new information technologies. Information resources have become a new economic category that determines the next rise of the scientific and technical progress. [3, p. 8].
Distance learning is a method of distance learning in which the teacher and the students are physically located in different places. With this type of training, people who do not have the opportunity to attend traditional classes have a chance to get high-quality training services. Distance learning meets the requirements of modern life, especially if we take into account not only transport costs, but also the costs of organizing the entire system of full-time education. Therefore we have the interest in distance learning, to its various forms, which is necessary throughout a person’s life.
To implement distance learning, the teacher must own active teaching methods and help students to form their own learning styles online, master the capabilities of the online learning platform and required software, overcome difficulties and barriers to electronic communication. For effective online course management teachers need to use tools to encourage learners to mastering the course, develop their discipline and skills to meet deadlines completing assignments, assessing student work in a timely manner and provide prompt feedback [4, 6].
Such programs as ZOOM, Google meet, TrueConf, etc. were used.
To teach foreign languages teachers used Quizlet. It is a free online service for creating and using flashcards and educational games of various types and categories (languages, culture, mathematics, geography, etc.). The basis of this application is sets — lists of words, lists of various concepts, pictures or photographs with descriptions.
Google Forms is an online tool that allows you to create forms for data collection, online testing and voting. Most often, Forms are used to interview clients or conduct testing among students and schoolchildren. and many other tools and games that can interest students and make the lesson more productive and useful.
Distance education — education implemented through distance learning. The characteristic features of distance education are:
- Flexibility-students in the distance education system work in a convenient place and at a convenient pace, at a convenient time, where everyone can study as much as he personally needs to master the subject and get the necessary exams for the selected courses;
- Modularity — each course creates a holistic view of a specific subject area, which allows you to form a curriculum for individual and group needs; a teacher in distance learning is a coordinator of the student’s cognitive activity and a manager of his educational process;
- Distance exams, interviews, practical lessons, course and project work, computer intelligent testing systems are used for specialized quality control;
- Motivation has great importance in distance learning. The motivation to get really thorough knowledge is the driving force for distance learning.
Distance learning is especially convenient for those students who, for some reason, cannot attend educational institutions, for example, due to physical disability or if they are geographically situated far from educational institutions. Those people, who live far from educational centers or in places where access to educational programs in certain disciplines is limited or complicated, can take advantage of distance education. For example, this category can include people who want to get an education in another country, the so-called international training.
The same category includes people who do not have the time, desire and opportunity to get to the educational center. For example, people who want to improve their skills. In this sense, distance education helps to save a lot of time for people who have decided to start studying. We can say that distance learning is effective for almost any person who wants to improve their educational level, regardless of age, current employment, interests and opportunities. [5, p. 12].
But along with the advantages, as a rule, there are also some disadvantages of distance learning. Despite the attractiveness of distance learning, a clear theoretical basis is necessary for its formation and development. First of all, it is important to understand what is meant by distance learning, because nowadays you can find a variety of interpretations of this concept. This includes all forms of self-education, and distance learning. The process of distance learning (educational process) is characterized primarily by the fact that it is interactive in its organization, i.e. in the interaction of the teacher and the student. Therefore, when we talk about the process of distance learning, we assume that there is communication between them and communication between students in this process. It can be concluded that it is necessary to create a unified information and educational space that includes all kinds of electronic information sources (including network ones): virtual libraries, various databases, consulting services, electronic textbooks, etc.
Among the disadvantages of the distance learning system today, of course, we can include:
- Narrowing of the potential audience of students, which is explained by the lack of technical possibility of inclusion in the educational process (computer, Internet connection);
- The necessity of computer training as a necessary condition for entering the distance education system;
- The lack of educational and methodological complexes adaptation to distance education courses (in particular, electronic textbooks). Insufficient development of administration systems of educational process and, as a result, a decrease in the quality of distance education in comparison with full-time training.
A very serious problem of distance learning is the reconsidering of the use of many proven pedagogical techniques for better understanding and assimilation of material, such as: the method of reference points, the method of conscious mistakes, the method of choosing the best solution, etc. The use of a wide variety of pedagogical methods becomes more dependent on technical means and ways of organizing contact with students.
However, it should be noted that with any interaction technology, the teacher has to learn to present the material more concisely and clearly or be able to answer questions of students. And in this situation, the constant and continuous self-improvement of both the teacher and the student becomes conceptual.
References1. Andreev A.A., Soldatkin V.I. Distant learning: essence, technology, organization. - M .: Publishing house MESI, 2010.
2. E. S. Polat Theory and Practice of Distance Learning - M., "Academy", 2004.
3. E.S. Polat Distance learning: Textbook. Manual – M.: humanist.ed.center VLADOS, 2006.
4. Davlatov S.S., Kurbaniyazov Z.B., Rakhmanov K.E. Innovative technologies in the practice of teaching at the surgical department// Collection of abstracts of the IV All – Russian conference with international participation “Medical Education – 2013” April 4-5, 2013 Moscow. P. 141-143
5. Zakharova I.G. Information technologies in education. M.: “Academy”, 2003.